IT Manager/ Systems Administrator
Our client in the Manufacturing sector and a Top Canadian Employer offers challenging and rewarding opportunities. They are currently seeking an IT Manager/ Systems Administrator to join their IT team.
Location: Barrie, ON
Initial Planned Duration: Permanent
Introduction: The incumbent is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This position is also responsible for the security of the network and through the use of available tools will monitor and remove viruses, spyware and other non-authorized software. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, and Partners.
Notes from Manager:
- This is a hybrid role - IT Management/ Tech Support/ Help Desk
- Helpdesk heavy/ day-to-day IT Operations Experience
- This person will be a " Go-to person" for everything relating to IT, it is a 1 man show.
- Also want someone with ERP implementation experience; they are switching from their current custom-based system to ERP.
- Some experience with Data mining, Business Analysis, Crystal Reporting is nice to have
- Personality fit is most important - someone who is easy to talk to, can wear multiple hats, able to multitask, technical savvy etc.
Targeted Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3-year Systems Administration degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
- Systems Administration or Equivalent certification in Unix and Microsoft. Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Exposure and Knowledge of MFG-PRO, Progress & SQL
- Microsoft Office 2013, 2016 and Office 365
- Remote Control Tools such as VNC and RDP.
- Awareness of all mainstream mobile technologies (Blackberry, Android, Apple, etc.) specifically related to Office 365/Exchange Online.
- Office365 Administration
- Basic Laser Printer Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
- 4-6 years’ system administration experience.
Targeted Technical Capabilities:
- Assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation, Planning and Implementation phases of IT Software/Hardware or Network projects.
- Accountable for the following systems: Linux and Windows systems that support MFG/PRO infrastructure; Linux, Windows and Application systems that support Time and Attendance System; Responsibilities on these systems include provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as supports MFG/PRO applications or Time and Attendance applications, as well as other standard applications used throughout the company.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers.
- Attend technical conferences, classes and seminars to keep abreast of new software and hardware product developments.
- Report writer competency in MFG-PRO/Progress and Cyberquery.
- Monitor software licenses, insuring that there are sufficient numbers of licenses to cover the number of installations and users.
- Maintain and periodically test Disaster Contingency/Recovery plan to insure that business can continue in the event of a disaster which renders our computer equipment unusable.
- Establish and maintain hardware and software maintenance contracts for all computer hardware, operating system software, and applications software where appropriate.
- Maintain security firewall hardware and software, configure firewall software to allow authorized remote user access to CSR Cosmetic Solutions and network via dial up and Internet. Monitor daily and weekly firewall security reports to ensure that no security breeches are occurring.
- Install configure Internet browsers on users’ personal computers. Monitor e-mail and browser usage to insure that there are no problems or abuse.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, and media backup sets are duplicated and sent off-site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted departments.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
- Establishes network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency; planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls
- Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems; escalating problems to vendor.
- Secures network by developing network access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; maintaining documentation.
- Upgrades network by conferring with vendors; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
- Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitoring expenses.
- Protects organization' s value by keeping information confidential.
Communications Hardware/Software (Data & Telephone)
- Monitor telephone system to insure proper operation. Program phone system to enable various features on individual employee phones.
- Maintain and program phone sets, arrange for repair/replacement when necessary.
- Maintain and program Voice Mail System.
- Order phone lines for private usage, fax machines, etc.
- Maintain Paging System, insuring that system operations properly in all areas of the building. Schedule maintenance by outside contractor when indicated. Work with outside contractor when indicated.
If you are qualified and interested in this role, please send your resume today!
We thank all applicants that apply. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
ProVision is a leading provider of professional talent to key organisations both private and public throughout Canada. Our services include: contract consulting, contingent permanent search, and retained executive search.
With over 15 years of concurrent exceptional relationships with clients in the financial, government, and software engineering verticals, ProVision has built up an exceptional network of industry leading professionals in the IT, Finance & Accounting, and Human Resources sectors.
We have a team of senior recruitment and account management professionals with a wide array of specialities who can help you with your search for a new assignment, career change, or that hard to find individual to complete your team.
Please get in contact with me, and I’ ll connect you to the right individual. It’ s what we do.