Network Operations Director
200 Bloor Street East Toronto, ON M4W 1E5
This is a Director level technical people leader position within the Enterprise Technology & Services (ETS) group, responsible for building, running, and improving Manulife’ s North American network. The mission is to make our network a better, faster, more flexible and more reliable platform for Manulife’ s digital transformation. As customers shift from paperwork and phone calls to online transactions and apps, our network has to be ready to handle a complex, growing tech environment round the clock. You will lead a team of network engineers and be part of cross-functional teams, helping Manulife transform. The metrics you measure, report, and improve will show your impact as you mentor your team, manage outside partners, solve technical problems, and collaborate with your peers. Specifically, you will:
- Lead a team of network engineers accountable for the delivery, operations, and management of Manulife North America networks, including management of operational vendors under contract
- Collaborate with the network plan team to ensure standards and patterns are achievable, and lead your team in translating these into specific configurations and deployment plans
- Maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders in ETS, other IT teams, and business units to ensure that NA network planning and deployment anticipates business demands.
- Work with peers and management to develop, fund, and execute a 24-month rolling network improvement and capacity plan that delivers network services in anticipation of business demand.
- Assign appropriate resources to services, platforms, and projects, maintaining overall accountability for the quality of delivery network project delivery and network quality.
- Act as the senior escalation point for both technical and business stakeholders for network deployments and BAU network issues
- Ensure that processes, metrics, and tools are used effectively to proactively manage and report on network availability, performance, and capacity
- Personally oversee the response to, and rapid resolution of, serious network issues.
- Identify and act on opportunities to optimize network costs and service.
- Ensure vendors deliver to agreed levels of services and cost and work alongside vendors to explore opportunities to better leverage vendor skills or capabilities.
- Minimum 7-10 years of progressive network technology experience, including engineering and operations roles
- Minimum 3-5 years leading technical direct reports, with a track record for developing and empowering talented techs
- Senior network engineer, a go-to expert for your peers and stakeholders, a top troubleshooter and careful change planner
- Demonstrated network operations leadership and discipline, including setting, reporting, and meeting/exceeding key performance metrics
- A demonstrated track record of designing and delivering complex network projects
- Successful budget planning and managing financial and human resources within budget
- Collaborative work style, able to communicate well, build and foster relationships across the organization
- Proven sense of urgency, ability to prioritize among competing deliverables
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills. Tact and clear verbal and written communication skills are necessary to facilitate solutions and resolve problems.
- Works well under pressure and drives teams to succeed
- Strong analytical and innovative problem-solving skills with the proven ability to exercise flexibility and judgment in assessing business issues and risks in a dynamic environment.