Senior Network Engineer
200 Bloor Street East Toronto, ON M4W 1E5
Our client, a major international financial institution is seeking to grow it' s global infrastructure team. They are responsible for WAN, cloud connectivity, data centre networks, branch site networks, end user access and mobility solutions, and core network services such as DNS and IP address management. The team is geographically dispersed with team members in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo, Boston and 11 Asian locations.
This role reports to the Director, Continuous Improvement, Network Services, GIS and is based in North America, supporting North American and Global initiatives. Some work-from-home is an option.
This role is an individual contributor role supporting Senior Network Consultants. Qualified individuals have hands-on network skills combined with the ability to work with/through service providers, prioritize, and communicate. The successful candidate will be expected to work very closely with senior engineers, the various business units and collaborating with geographically dispersed teams.
• Coordinates and performs on-site customer work including network equipment installations, repairs, upgrades, and maintenance.
• Resolves first-level and second-level network related issues and incidents. Resolves issues or escalates as appropriate, following company Incident and Problem management process.
• Translate business needs into technical actions and plans, support the management of technology lifecycle for data network solutions.
• Deliver hands-on technical solutions on internally managed infrastructure and manage service providers elsewhere.
• Contribute to business cases and proposals. This may include presentation to senior management.
• Participate or lead troubleshooting complex network problems. This involves working closely with business units, other infrastructure teams and external vendors, where necessary.
• Work closely with the IT security group to ensure compliance with IT security standards and policies
• Form collaborative relationships with peers, business units, regional technology groups, and external service partners
• Occasional travel between Manulife offices as well as participation in evening conference calls, after hours escalations and weekend change tickets
• Flexible Work Smart environment with ability to work from various office locations and from home as appropriate.
• Intermediate IT professional with extensive hands on experience designing, deploying and managing in a large complex network environment.
• Minimum 5 years of progressive data network experience in a large, complex, fast paced environment; financial services and/or telecom/Internet service provider experience preferred
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience in conjunction with industry certifications (Cisco certifications preferred, including but not limited to CCNP, CCDP)
• Experience working in a mixed environment where some work requires hands on experience and other work is managed through vendor-provided services including network outsourcing arrangements (Hands-on is mandatory, managing through a vendor is a nice to have)
• Strong working knowledge of network technologies, particularly Cisco Systems routing/switching equipment and Nexus, Catalyst, and WiFi; Aruba WiFi and Clearpass; Riverbed Steelhead or Cisco WAAS, MobileIron, network management tools, analyzing packet captures, DNS and IPAM.
• Good working knowledge of WAN technologies such as as BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS
• Added value skillsets include network security (firewalls, IDS, IPS, NAC, content filtering etc). – CISSP certification an asset – and VOIP, video and/or unified communications deployment using Cisco/Avaya/Nortel; and expertise in QoS, Software Defined Networking, and Cloud-optimized networks
• Strong operations efficiency orientation (process, costing etc.) and ability to effectively manage ongoing operations while identifying opportunities for ongoing efficiency, familiarity with ITIL framework
• Ability to think strategically, assess alternatives for short and long term impacts and act decisively; strong systems aptitude demonstrated project management and planning skills; balances strategic skills with tactical execution skills; function well within matrix management situations and under dynamic mandates
• Clear, effective communication (written and verbal) is essential, including ability to explain technical information to non-technical audiences and create effective documentation for other teams
• Global or multi-country operations experience an asset